Current Job Openings
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Gut Microbiota): https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/163072
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Plant-Microbe Interactions): https://jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/167552
We welcome prospective students and post docs!
Prospective post-docs, graduate students, and undergraduate students should feel free to contact Manuel Kleiner directly to discuss openings and possible research projects. Please also consult the list of funding opportunities below.
Undergraduate students interested in a research project should express interest by emailing a CV and brief statement of interest to Manuel Kleiner.
Check out the fun facts about NCSU here.
The following graduate programs represent good fits for our lab:
Below are links for funding opportunities and courses for graduate students and postdocs:
General Overview of Funding Opportunities and Tips
From tips on how to write grants, to guides to the NIH, to useful websites, Science Magazine has compiled a list of resources available at their Where to Search for Funding page.
Funding opportunities for Graduate Students
Below is a list of fellowships that are available for graduate studies (though there are new opportunities all the time, so doing your own search on the web is a good idea). These fellowships can be awarded prior to entry into a Ph.D. program, and usually pay part of the total cost of tuition and stipend for a fixed period of time. The balance of the support is picked up by the Lab’s research grants. For helpful advice on applying for graduate fellowships, please visit The Chronical of Higher Education’s “How to Win a Graduate Fellowship.”
- NCSU Graduate School Overview of Fellowships
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program For international students to come to the US
- American Association of University Women
- Chateaubriand Science Fellowship research in France
- DOE Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
- Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship Program US citizens only
- Environmental Protection Agency Fellowships US citizens only
- Ford Foundation US citizens pursuing doctorates only; for minorities, dissertation fellowship and predoctoral fellowships available
- Hertz Foundation US citizens only
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Hanna H. Gray Fellows Program new post-doctorates from underrepresented groups
- NASA opportunities available for post-doctorates, graduates, and undergraduates
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowships (DoD) US citizens only
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowships US citizens only
- Robert D. Watkins Graduate Fellowship US citizens only
Recommended Summer Grad Courses Elsewhere
These are ideal early grad school summer experiences for the interested student.
- CMOP Undergraduate Interships Center of Coastal Margin Observation & Prediction, Oregon Health & Science University
- Hopkins Microbiology Course Hopkins Marine Station, Stanford University
- Microbial Diversity Marine Biological Laboratory at Woods Hole
- Microbial Oceanography: Genomes to Biomes University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, held at Honolulu
Funding opportunities for Postdoctoral Researchers
- List of funding opportunities as provided by UC Berkeley
- List of funding opportunities as provided by Johns Hopkins University
- Arnold O. Beckman Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Simons Postdoctoral Fellowship in Marine Microbial Ecology
- EMBO long-term fellowships for European citizens to post-doc in the US
- Human Frontiers Science Program for internationals to post-doc in the US
- Marie Curie Individual Fellowships for European scientists to post-doc in the US
- American Society for Microbiology Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women for travel, etc.
- Ford Foundation minorities, US citizens only
- Fulbright scholarship for UK citizens to post-doc in the US
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowships
- Life Sciences Research Foundation
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowships US citizens only
- National Institutes of Health K Awards
- The National Research Council (NRC) Research Associateship Program (through NIH)
- National Science Foundation – Ocean Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowships US citizens only
- National Science Foundation – Postdoctoral Fellowships in Biology US citizens only
- National Science Foundation full list of postdoctoral fellowships
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- David H. Smith Conservation Research Fellowship Program
- DFG research fellowships for Germany based researchers to post-doc in the US
- Branco Weiss Fellowship