|Rebecca-Ayme Hughes, Ph.D.
Department of Plant & Microbial Biology
Lab Phone: 919.515.3882
Rebecca-Ayme joined the Kleiner lab in 2018 as research assistant and lab manager. Rebecca obtained her undergraduate degree from the University of Wales Aberystwyth in 2001 and PhD from the University of Bristol in 2006. After completing her PhD, Rebecca did a number of postdoc positions at the University of Bristol, Burke Medical Research Institute, BD Technologies and NC State University.
- Hughes, R.-A., Jin, X., Zhang, Y., Zhang, R., Tran, S., Williams, P. G., … Miller, E. S. (2018). Genome sequence, metabolic properties and cyanobacterial attachment of Porphyrobacter sp. HT-58-2 isolated from a filamentous cyanobacterium-microbial consortium.
- R-A. Hughes, R. Ali, M. Mendoz, H.M. Hassan, and M. Koci. (2017). Impact of Dietary Galacto-Oligosaccharide (GOS) on Chicken’s Gut Microbiota, Mucosal Gene Expression, and Salmonella Colonization. Frontier Veterinary Science 4:192-206.
- Yunlong Zhang, Ran Zhang, Rebecca-Ayme Hughes, Jingqiu Dai, Philip G. Williams, Eric S. Miller and Jonathan S. Lindsey. (2017). Quantitation of Tolyporphins, Diverse Tetrapyrrole, Secondary Metabolites with Chlorophyll-like Absorption, From a Filamentous Cyanobacterium–Microbial Community. Phytochemical Analysis DOI 10.1002/pca.2735
- R-A Hughes, Y. Zhang, R. Zhang, P. Williams, J. Lindsey, and E. Miller. (2017). Genome sequence and composition of a tolyporphin-producing cyanobacterium—microbial community. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, doi: 10.1128/AEM.01068-17
- R.J.B. Bessa, R.A. Hughes, E. Jeronimo, O.C. Moreira, J.A.M. Prates and O. Doran. (2013). Effect of pig breed and dietary protein level on selected fatty acids and stearoyl-CoA desaturase protein expression in longissimus muscle and subcutaneous fat. Journal of Aminal Science. 91:4540-4546.
- Anna Bergsmedh, Mary E. Donohoe, Rebecca-Ayme Hughes, and Anna-Katerina Hadjantonakis. (2011). Understanding the Molecular Circuitry of Cell Lineage Specification in the Early Mouse Embryo. Genes, 2:420-448.
- Murphy H, Cogan T, Hughes R, and Humphrey T. (2011). Porcine intestinal epithelial responses to Campylobacter infection. Comparative Immunology, Microbiolgy and Infectious Disease. 34:489-95.
- Rebecca-Ayme Hughes, Tristan Cogan and Tom J Humphrey. (2010). Exposure of C. jejuni to 6°C: effects on heat resistance and electron transport activity. Journal of Food Protection. 73:729-733.
- Rebecca-Ayme Hughes, Kathy Hallett, Tristan Cogan, Mike Enser and Tom Humphrey. (2009). The response of Campylobacter jejuni to low temperature differs from that of Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 75: 6292-6298.
- Chen, G, Cue, R-A. Lundstrom, K. & Doran, O. (2008). Regulation of cytochrome P450 2A6 protein expression by skatole, indole and sex steroids in primary cultured pig hepatocytes. Drug Metabolism and Disposition, 36: 56-60. (Joint first author).
- Cue, R.-A. Nicolau-Solano, S. I. McGivan, J. D. Wood, J. D. & Doran, O. (2007). Breed-associated variations in the sequence of the pig 3ß-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase gene. Journal of Animal Science. 85: 571-576.
- Porphyrobacter HT-58-2 whole genome (CP022600). Hughes, R.-A., Zhang, Y., Zhang, R., Williams, P.G., Lindsey, J.S. and Miller, E.S. Submitted 28/July/17. Released date: 01/Feb/2018.
- Cyanobacterium HT-58-2 whole genome (NZ_CP019636.1) and two plasmids; pHT582-1 (NZ_CP019637.1) pHT582-2 (NZ_CP019638.1). Hughes, R.-A., Zhang, Y., Zhang, R., Williams, P.G., Lindsey, J.S. and Miller, E.S. Submitted 06/Feb/17 released 05/Jun/17. NCBI.
- Sus scrofa hepatic nuclear factor 1 (DQ083526). Cue, R.-A., McGiven, J.D. and Doran, O. Submitted 02/Jun/05, released 21/Jun/05. NCBI.